Saturday, April 4, 2009

Poem #4 - Neighbors

Our nearest neighbors looked down
On me today as I mowed our back yard.
They were dressed
In their finest go-to-meeting clothes
As they surveyed the world from their
Apartment balcony.

They moved in fairly recently.
Their apartment had been empty all winter,
And I guess they liked what they saw,
Because all of a sudden there they were.

A couple lived in the same apartment
Last year. Not sure
If they were the same couple.
They all look alike to me.

I do hope, though, they’re not too snooty for their
Downstairs neighbors who seem a bit
Messy.
And gossipy.

I’m all for our new neighbors.
They keep regular hours,
Work in the community,
And contribute to the environment.

So I nodded to them and said hello
This morning.
And watched as they soared from their
Porch into the seamless sky
To catch some early lunch.

Glad to have you back, Martins!
Just hope you tolerate your noisy Sparrow neighbors.

(c)2009 Becky Parker

1 comment:

Susanne Barrett said...

Your surprise ending "got" me. :)

Elizabeth and I were astonished to learn that there is a technical name in poetry for a surprise ending: paraprosdokian. We learned it while studying "Annabel Lee."