Friday, April 3, 2009

Poem #3 - Faith

A concrete poem in honor of the birthday of George Herbert (b. 1593), one of my favorite poets.

Having
faith
is often
compared
to sitting
in a chair.
We sit
without
really
thinking
whether
it will hold
us up or not.
Surely though
it matters who
made the chair.
I wouldn't want to sit in a chair that my two year old
put together. Would that chair hold me up?
I hope that two things are true about my chair.
One: That*****************************Two:
the maker~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~That he
planned*******************************knows
his design~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~more
and that*******************************than
he knew~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I do
what he*******************************about
built. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~chairs!

(c)2009 Becky Parker

(I'm don't think anyone reads this blog, but if you happen to I apologize for my ineptness in formatting. I have not yet mastered the art of blogging, and couldn't get my poem to format properly without the extended underlines.)

2 comments:

Susanne Barrett said...

Love the concrete poem! Nicely done!

NaPoWriMo is certainly challenging me to write poems! Fun!

LauraLiz said...

I do read your blog and am enjoying the poetry!