Friday, January 4, 2008

I wish all my difficulties were this easy to solve.

We bought our land for the land itself, but on it sits a small brick house that we purchased "as is." No one has lived in it for over two years and though structurally sound, it needs some work. It's not where I want our cabin to be and it's not anything like what I want in a cabin, but since it's there I've decided to get it fixed up enough to stay in while we're up there to build the cabin.

The house has one bathroom, is wired for electricity, but doesn't have it turned on. Its water heater, heating unit, and stove are all gas (propane).

First thing we needed was water. So I went to the local water company and had the water turned on. No problem with that. I'd like electricity, so I visited the rural electricity company and found out that in order to get electricity I needed a permit from the local health unit, apparently a "Ms. Jane" had to okay the septic system before we could get electricity. As I cast my mind back to the spot behind the house that was sunk in, I got a sinking feeling myself. Not an expert on septic systems, even I could see that there might be a problem there. But I dutifully drove over to see "Ms Jane." The lady wields a lot a power. She responded to my inquiries politely but tersely with nary a smile to be seen. She had no record of the house, so I would need to get someone to look at it. She gave me a list of names to choose from and I called the first ones on the list, a father/son team.

After the preliminaries I asked this, "If the ground where the septic tank is located is sunken, does that mean there's a problem?"

"Wa -ell... it don't sound good. Could be a problem. Might not be. We'd have to take a look at it to see."

So last weekend when we went up for the day to picnic, the septic guys (what do you call people who put in septic systems?) met us there.

The sunken area does mean there's a problem. And I spent quite a long time talking to these two guys about options and about how to talk to "Ms. Jane." Apparently there are good ways to do it and bad ways. So far, I realized, I had done okay. She didn't like people who went in and told her what to do. Since I know NOTHING about septic systems and know it, I didn't go in with that attitude. So far, so good.

The good news is that we liked the two men and learned a lot from them. They know their business! The bad news is that it will be mid-February before they can do anything on our property. Apparently they are very busy. I had really wanted to get going on the cabin. But I'd counted on using the house as a kind of base of operations. Sigh. I planned on approaching Ms. Jane, apparently somewhat of a stickler about paperwork and septic systems, and asking her what to do per my advice from the father/son team. I wasn't optimistic.

I was working up courage to do that late morning on Wednesday, Jan 2 when my phone rang.

"Ms. P...?" a voice drawled (my septic guy! the father).

"Oh, hi, Mr. L... I was thinking just now about calling Ms. J."

"Well now, that's what I'm calling about. Don't think you'll need to do that. I just talked with her and she's going to give you a permit for electricity. It's all set. Just go see her tomorrow."

I was effusive in my thanks.

His reply? "Ms. Jane is easy to work with if you approach her right."

Apparently he did.

I went up yesterday and took the necessary documentation. Power should be turned on already to the house and I have a permit for power to be run to the spot where the cabin will be built. And we're on the list for a new septic system.

Did you know you feed septic systems dog food?

3 comments:

carrie said...

Dog food? Can you explain that one? LOL! Is it to keep the bacteria happily champing away when there is nothing else to ...er... eat??

I'm glad it all worked out! Your cabin plans sound heavenly. And when the cabin's done, you'll have a guest house to boot!

Carrie

Dancingirl said...

That's it! I asked him if he meant feeding the dog food literally and he said yes. And that's exactly what the guy said. He told me to keep the bacteria happy by feeding them dog food down the toilet when we weren't going to be around for a few days. Thanks for being glad with me about the cabin!

Katrina said...

Very exciting!! I'm happy for you. And glad those issues were all resolved so easily. :) I'm looking forward to following the progress along the way. FUN!!